Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sunday Dinner at Nana & Papa's



The highlight of my week is when everyone comes over for Sunday dinner. We had a traditional marinara sauce over linguini which was my friends italian mother-in-law's recipe. It was one of the first things I ever learned to cook after we were married. I found the best recipe for turkey meatballs to put in it. I am sorry I didn't take a picture but I have an older picture of the family eating my other spaghetti.

Turkey Meatballs by Ellie Krieger, Foodnetwork: (I made just a couple changes)
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 slice fresh whole-wheat bread, crusts removed, pulsed in to crumbs in food processor.
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese
1/2 C finely grated carrot
1/2 C finely chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 T minced fressh parsley leaves
2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
I placed the bread in the food processor and pulsed until it was crumbs. Then I added the parmesan, grated carrot, chopped onion, minced garlic, whole parsley & thyme leaves, salt and pepper and pulsed until everything was finely chopped and combined. Then I dumped it into a bowl and add the turkey and eggs and mixed together with my hands.
Using a large cookie scoop I formed the mixture into 2 inch size meatballs and placed on a large cookie sheet lined with parchment and broiled for 10 minutes until almost completely cooked. They were brown on top with just a little pink showing. Then I put them in the marinara sauce and simmered them for one hour. One recipe would make about 8 meatballs. I doubled it to feed 14 adults and 4 kids. I think I should have tripled it.
These were supper easy to make and so delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Cute!! We wish we were there. Your an amazing cook and I love your blog. It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete