Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Latest Creation

     I finally had some time today to work on a banana muffin recipe. If you make them you can always change the recipe to create it the way you like it.  They aren't overly sweet, are low in fat, and high in fiber. They also have a protein boost in them. I think these will be great to have right before a run in the mornings.  Let me know if you make them and how you like them. I appreciate any criticism or complements. I started with a basic whole grain muffin recipe I found in a cookbook entitled Healthy Recipes From the Heart of Our Homes by Phyllis & Shirley which I bought at Shar's Kitchen Store. Then I added other ingredients to it to make it my own. I also changed the butter in the recipe to coconut oil and apple sauce.

Banana Zucchini Walnut Muffins


Preheat oven to 400*

1 3/4 cups freshly ground wheat pastry flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon or sweet spice blend
2 T. baking powder
1/2 C. fresh corn flour (I used corn meal)
1/2 C. rolled 7-grain or oats, ground to powder in blender

Mix together dry ingredients

2 eggs
1 C silky tofu
1/4 C coconut oil
1/2 C apple sauce
1/4 C honey  (or you can substitute black strap molasses)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together wet ingredients in a blender, add to flour mixture along with remaining ingredients and mix until just moistened:

2 mashed bananas
1 C shredded zucchini squeezed in a paper towel to get extras moisture out.
1 C. walnuts coarsely chopped
1/2 C golden raisins

Use an ice cream scoop and fill muffin cups 3/4 full. I like to line them with the paper/foil baking cups.
Bake for 14-18 minutes until firm to the touch.
Cool on racks


     I also found a yummy banana blueberry walnut bread on cleaneating.com. Just type in banana blueberry walnut bread on their search space. I want to try it next.

No comments:

Post a Comment