Friday, June 1, 2012

Carnival Cookies

I have really been struggling with any kind of motivation to write a new post until today when Marianne told me she has been waiting for me to post this recipe for Carnival Cookies. They come from one of my favorite cookbooks called Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson. They are gluten free as long as you use gluten free oats and have no sugar in them except for what is in the chocolate chips and bananas. They are so yummy and you don't have to feel guilty when eating them. My only problem is that I feel like I can eat as many as I want and that may not be such a good thing. I used air popped popcorn but pan popped is probably ok too just don't season it. Make sure you don't mix in any old maids (unpopped kernels )into the cookie dough or you might break a tooth and that wouldn't be so good either.
 ENJOY!!

Carnival Cookies
1 1/2 C. well-mashed bananas (about 3 large)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C. extra-virgin coconut oil (if solid barely warm it to soften)
1 1/2 C. rolled oats
1/2 C. almond meal (You can make your own almond meal by pulsing raw almonds in a food processor until it resembles sand. Don't over do it or it will turn into almond butter.) 
1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
2/3 C. shelled whole peanuts
1 C. bittersweet chocolate chips (Ghirardelli is my favorite)
1 1/2 C. popcorn


Preheat oven to 350*
Combine bananas, vanilla and coconut oil in a large bowl. 
In another bowl, whisk together oats, almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
Fold in chocolate chips, peanuts, and popcorn.
Dough will look looser than standard cookie dough but don't worry about it.
Shape into small balls about 1 tablespoon each. Place them 1 inch apart on parchment lined cookie sheets and bake for 14 to 17 minutes until deeply golden. Cool on a wire rack. 

1 comment: